How to handle error “Word cannot open the existing [square]”
At times, user may encounter one of the following error messages while working with MS word.
VB Error: 5165
“Word cannot open the existing [square]”
VB Error: -2147417846
“The message filter indicated that the application is busy”
MS word may behave like this, because of the corruption in global template file that is used by Word. Corruption of one or more invalid global template files may cause an out-of-process automation client to throw one of the above mentioned error messages to erupt.
If you are encountering one of the above-mentioned errors, you can temporarily rename the global template to determine if it is the actual cause of the problem. When you rename the global template, several options get reset back to their default settings, along with custom styles, custom toolbars, macros, and AutoText entries. Renaming the global template file rather than deleting it enables you to restore these settings in case the template is not corrupt.
To rename the global template file follow the underneath steps:
- Quit all instances of Word, including WordMail.
- Click Start, clickFind, and then click Files or Folders.
- In the Named box, type the global template name for your version of Word.
- In the Look In box, select your local hard disk drive (or an alternate user template location if you are running Word from a network server).
- Click Find Now to search for the file.
- For each occurrence of global template that appears in the Find dialog box, right-click the file and then click Rename. Give the file a new name, such as OldNormal.dot or Normal-1.dot.
- Minimize the Find dialog box.
- Restart your automation client to start Word.
Steps may differ with varying versions of Microsoft Windows. You can refer your product documentation to complete these steps.
If Word starts working as early means, you have succeeded to resolve the problem. In this case, the major problem was the damaged global template. However, this cannot be the only possible cause for the given error message. Many other complications may turn out to be the actual cause. If it is so, you need to take help of professional word repair software like Kernel for Word Repair tool. This proficient tool can combat any sort of corruption issue in the file. Kernel for Word Repair tool provides immediate access to the file in minimal possible time.